Favorite blogs and aggregators
- Arts and Letters Daily
- Language Log — Linguistics blog, one of the few websites where the online comments are worth reading as much as the actual articles.
- Andrew Gelman — Statistics blog
- xkcd — Webcomic
- Chinese Text Project
Science and math
- David McKay’s textbook Information Theory, Inference, and Learning Algorithms is available for free online
- Cell Biology by the Numbers – Back-of-the-envelope calculations are not just for engineers and the physical sciences. Draft preprint available to read online.
- Michael Davidson’s Molecular Expressions website, one of the best resources for learning about microscopy
- John Snyder’s Map Projections: A Working Manual published by the USGS
- The Paleobiology Database